[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer Shank Length

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 16 19:39:46 MDT 2012

Terry,
Just got back from LA-LA land to pick up a payaner.  You'r first on my
list. <G>The Shank diameter is 3/16". They are listed in the Schaff
catalogue as Pallet Rods. Go figger. (I've told em and told em'<G>
Joe

replacement on a square grand. Seems these may be a bit on the short side.
Is there any consensus on the length of shank that would need to be
inserted/glued into the hammer butt for adequate strength/stability? Seems
to me one shank diameter would be too little, maybe two shank diameters at
a minimum - that would be 3/8"? Of course, more would be merrier, but if I
am to use these shortie shanks, I may not have that luxury. Any thoughts?

> FWIW I am drilling the old shanks out - so I will have a nice clean
close-fitting hole for the shank.