[pianotech] Wanted: Steinway M or L

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Aug 16 13:34:36 MDT 2012

Thanks Greg,

I'm looking for something probably further gone.  The client is a talented
player.  The intention is to rebuild/redesign the action to the very
highest level of performance and tone.  So a 20 yr old L is probably not
what we're after mainly because the piano is "more valuable" by virtue of
it having a "well-functioning" action which we would then get rid of.
 Basically we're looking to rebuild but hoping to retain the original board
and bridge, recapping it, or resurfacing, notching and pinning it.

I appreciate the idea that Steinway soundboards are mostly (completely)
dead after 5 or 10 or 20 years, but respectfully disagree.  I've got a 1906
"O" here awaiting rebuilding that, while it lacks the projection or sustain
I would want for a stage piano, it is more than viable for a 15' x 20'
living room.  I appreciate the difference a new board can make as well, but
in some cases it's not necessary, in my opinion.

WRM