[pianotech] Separated bridge cap

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 12:57:27 MDT 2012

On 8/15/2012 12:34 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> My guess is that the gap is there because the board has oilcanned.  The best
> way to repair it is to take it to the dump.

Will,
When is the last time you saw a Baldwin with crown in the treble? Just
out of curiosity?

Someone at Baldwin was at one time convinced that bridges needed to be
crowned. Combining crowning and capping in one "efficient" operation,
they made bridges in two layers of about equal thickness. The root had
the grain along the bridge, and the cap was cross grain. They dried the
wood down, glued up the panels, and cut out the bridges, which then
crowned as they rehydrated. I'm with Terry. If it's not causing a
problem, leave it the heck alone. A "fix" of sorts by drilling holes
through the cap, injecting glue, and putting in screws is good for
looks, but I don't know that it would be particularly beneficial to the
piano unless it's currently making noise.
Ron N