[pianotech] Thubby Chipboard, was: Flagpoling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 12 13:05:11 MDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 1:20 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> Ron - did some/many/all manufacturers make rims out of chestnut?

Not that I know of in grands, but a lot of the old uprights have what
looks to me to be chestnut lumber case cores.

> Looking at some data for North American hardwood strength
> characteristics, it appears several of the hardwoods are similarly
> quite strong - like hard maple, red & white oak, white ash, etc., but
> chestnut is a good fair bit less hard, dense, stiff, etc. Why would
> they choose Chestnut?

For dimensional stability, cost, and ready availability.

>How prevalent was the use of Chestnut in rims?

Not at all in grands, that I know of, but those that didn't use maple
sure used something. What? I've seen oak in built up (rather than bent)
rims. But I was talking about uprights, as was Gordon unless he knows of
any Yamaha grands that were made with "chip board" rims that make them
thubby.

Ron N