[pianotech] Broken Drill Bit in Bridge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 12 12:54:53 MDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 1:01 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> I wish I were as resourceful as Ron N - and/or had the
> skills and motivation, but I think I'll opt for the slightly $$ier but
> easier route of just buying the stuff. Thanks again.

I've long since bought a 1/4" extractor, but at the time I was impatient
and wanted to finish it NOW. Really simple to make in any size if you
have some appropriate stock on hand. As it turns out, I still haven't
used the 1/4" on a bridge, but I have on other things, like twisted off
#10 wood screws.

That's not resourcefulness, incidentally, it's concept theft. I read of
someone's painful and not that successful attempts to center drill a rod
for some shop made tool, and wonder why. Center drilling round stock
with a drill press is just like doing it in a lathe. Spin the stock
instead of the drill bit and it self centers. The machinist trade is
always good for useful techniques.

Whatever the case, there are lots of ways to do perfectly acceptable
repairs on most things. This has been a good example.
Ron N