[pianotech] Broken Drill Bit in Bridge

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 18:55:14 MDT 2012

Terry,

Your friend may be interested in this little tidbit :)

I posted this little idea on this list a while back.

First, make small pattern of the bridge holes for later use. Next use a
hollow screw extractor like Issac suggests. Remember, the pin is at an
angle. There is no way to really do a nice neat job at this phase of the
repair. Once the root canal is done, fill the hole with a dowel, glue in
and trim flush with the top of the bridge. The purpose of the dowel is
solely to provide some material for a 1/2" forstner bit brad point to
center on.

Next, use your 1/2" plug cutter to make a maple plug (1/2" should work).
Note the direction of the maple material as to planing with and not against
the grain, and mark your plug accordingly. With the forstner, drill down to
a depth a bit less than the height of your plug. Glue in your plug; it
should stick up a bit and will extend partly into the notch area. Trim down
with a sharp chisel, sand smooth and DAG the area.

Next re-drill your bridge hole (or two holes) and chisel-cut the notch in
your usual way. See photos.

Nick

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT