[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer Shank Length

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 11 14:16:33 MDT 2012

Hi Joe and Anyone Else......

It was recommended to me to use spinet hammer shanks for hammer shank replacement on a square grand. Seems these may be a bit on the short side. Is there any consensus on the length of shank that would need to be inserted/glued into the hammer butt for adequate strength/stability? Seems to me one shank diameter would be too little, maybe two shank diameters at a minimum - that would be 3/8"? Of course, more would be merrier, but if I am to use these shortie shanks, I may not have that luxury. Any thoughts?

FWIW I am drilling the old shanks out - so I will have a nice clean close-fitting hole for the shank.

Thanks!!!

Oh yeah - just in case - anyone know of a source for 3/16" or 7/32" hard maple dowels?

Terry Farrell