[pianotech] Thubby Chipboard, was: Flagpoling

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 16:19:43 MDT 2012

Very funny, Terry.
   The reason is that as I tuned, the thought passed through my mind of "Gee, this thing sounds like a cheap speaker sold out of the trunk of a '70 Mercury in a parking lot!" (in 1978), and then I rememberd that those cardboardish-sounding speakers were in cheap, chipboard cabinets; so checked the construction of the Yammy and, sho' 'nuff, found the same, basic, sucking-up-sound core material. Just go read some historical literature on piano construction from its "Golden Age" of fierce competition (1880-1915) and you'll find manufacturers stating quite bluntly (to each other-not for marketing purposes) that choice of woods, including veneers,
was made with the intent of losing as little vibratory energy to heat transduction as possible. (Rosewood, for example, was not just chosen for its looks.)

Thumpe