[pianotech] Flagpoling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 10 14:38:22 MDT 2012

On 8/10/2012 11:36 AM, David Boyce wrote:
>> And..... if I'm not mistaken, "flag-poling" can also include a pin
>> that twists
>

> Yes, Terry, that's exactly what I meant by
>
> "But in fact they can to some extent both twist internally,"
>
> and
>
> "The string may move sufficiently to be in tune, but only because the
> pin has bent or twisted without moving in its pinblock hole"

Guys, I'd like to see a differentiation between flagpoling and twist.
They aren't the same thing and lumping them together just maintains
confusion and defeats communication. Take the very common instance of a
pin riding the plate in Baldwins, Steinways, and other pianos without
plate bushings (and not open face blocks). These pins don't flagpole
much at all, being jammed against the plate a couple of millimeters
under the coil, but they do skate on the plate and make balancing pin
torque against string tension more touchy. Whereas, a pin that isn't
riding the plate will flagpole (just as does a real flagpole) as well as
torque back against string tension. A pin in a worn and crushed plate
bushing will flagpole, but friction against the bushing makes the torque
thing somewhat less obvious. Two separate things, manifesting to varying
degrees under different conditions. I think they ought to be addressed
as separate things.

Ron N