[pianotech] Twisted sticks

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:21:47 MDT 2012

Rob,
I have used a dry iron to heat the stick without charring. I use 2 big wood
clamps for leverage. If the key is held level, put one clamp on each end,
with the jaws of the clamps up. The clamps make feet for the assembly now.
Heat the iron up to Cotton setting and move it slowly along the one side of
the key for about 30 seconds, then the other side, then about 5 seconds on
each side to make the stick warm enough, then hold twist the key past true
about 1/2 as much as the existing twist, and hold for one minute. Let cool
for another minute to see if anything changes. Adjust the procedure if you
don't get all the way there, using heat longer or twisting a tad more.

I did this on a water-damaged piano about 20 years ago, so this is based on
an old recollection. You could try a hair dryer as an alternative. I think
a heat gun would be tricky. A steam iron would take longer to stabilize to
see the results.

John Ashcraft