[pianotech] Flagpoling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 10 07:42:05 MDT 2012

On 8/10/2012 8:20 AM, Euphonious Thumpe wrote:
> And please allow me to add, briefly, that I had a HORRIBLE experience
> with flagpoling pins in a Georgia-built Yamaha P-22 upright once that
> was so bad it made tuning nearly impossible. Caused by extremely tight
> tuning pins and perhaps the wrong type of steel, in combo. (It also had
> a chipboard cabinet core, which made it sound "thubby". )

In my opinion, every Thomaston P-22 for at least the last five years of
production was virtually untunable from the obscenely tight pins. The
steel was fine, and I still haven't seen any evidence other than opinion
that the MDF case had any negative effect on the sound. It's somewhat
easier to compare pin tightness than case material.

Ron N