[pianotech] Flagpoling

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 10 04:49:19 MDT 2012

And..... if I'm not mistaken, "flag-poling" can also include a pin that twists - like on newer Steinway uprights. Where you can turn the pin with your tuning lever and raise/lower the pitch significantly, yet the pin has not moved at all - and when you release the tuning lever, the pin twists back in pitch.

The bending of the pin, as you describe below, can be observed when you try to raise or lower your tuning lever while engaging the pin (the raise or lower orientation would apply to a grand piano).

Terry Farrell