[pianotech] Twisted sticks

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Fri Aug 10 01:41:44 MDT 2012

Greetings,

I finished a bit of work (mouse cleaning, pitch raise, tuning, fixing broken wheels, etc.) on this piano but this one key (C8) was sticking when pressed.  I checked all the usual culprits but nothing seemed to have any effect.  That's when I noticed that the key stick was twisted.  Not only twisted but the capstan end seems to be bent to the right further than all the other keysticks. I'm thinking it was a factory job because the last wippen is also skewed out to the side to match up with the bent keystick. The capstan even tilts at an angle while the key tilts the opposite way at the working end.