[pianotech] Noise in Bass Strings

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon Aug 6 05:53:04 MDT 2012

Terry,

The Erard whip might be some forensic evidence.

I've only seen this whip from European string makers.  Maybe the fact
that I haven't seen this whip from a US maker is just evidence my
limited experience, or maybe someone was trying to address a
manufacturing anomaly the scaling.   Perhaps someone, factory or post
manufacturing, tried to address the scaling problem with non-standard
cores like Paullelo (or Pure Sound) wire that at the time were not
available in the US at the time.  Paullelo wire in the hands of North
American string maker is only a fairly recent development.

If it is a non-mapes core, lower tensile strength core, you would not be
able to tell from the dimensions of the string, but a call to Walter
might give you this info.

Put a magnet on the core, and see if its Stainless steel???maybe??

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com