[pianotech] Sorry I asked?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Aug 3 13:01:01 MDT 2012

Our family piano was a Haddorff Vertichord. It's a small console with a
very fancy case. The bottom
board is curved, and there are fancy little platforms to either side of
the music desk. The top does not
hinge upwards.

At first you'll think there's no way into the thing. Look for two tiny
screws -- can't quite remember exactly
where they are, but lean over and look near the ends of the music desk,
up into the platforms. Once
they are taken out, the music desk should slide forward, and then you
should be able to see how to
get off the rest. It is quite possible to tune it, though the lid juts
out slightly past the tuning pins.

Haddorff in Rockford, Illinois made high quality pianos. My grandfather
gave both my mother
and my aunt a Haddorff Vertichord in about 1948. They grew up in
Rockford. The older Haddorffs
are big and beautiful, but I've only seen a couple of them.

Have fun --

Susan Kline