[pianotech] Ny Times article on pianos

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:45:46 MDT 2012

Thumpe.

You CAN wet sand with water on shellac. Cured shellac is surprisingly
resistant to water unless you leave a flower pot on it over night.
Just wet sand and wipe dry with a paper towel. Just as often, I use
RAW linseed oil as a sanding lube because  there is also another
advantage to this. You can use regular sandpaper instead of wet-or-dry
and save a lot in material cost. The linseed oil can be wiped off and
French polished immediately. Any oil residue will not be a problem
with French polish or any oil based or solvent based finish.

If I am working in someones living room I would use water and have a
tarp down to catch any water drips. The French polish does not drip as
you are only using a tiny bit on a pad. Naptha is not necessary on any
finish for wet sanding unless you are also trying to degrease it. If
you use raw linseed oil, you can forget the mask and gloves too. Raw
is better than boiled linseed oil as it does not dry and get thick.
Pure tung oil would also work for that matter, as would hydraulic
fluid  or baby oil (no joke). I prefer the smell of linseed or tung
oil though.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc