[pianotech] Cents deviation & tuning charts

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Mon Apr 30 10:47:07 MDT 2012

All right, let me weigh in here briefly. I really like the metaphors of
using a micrometer to measure a marshmallow, or finding the best tape to
stick the wind to a shadow. Sure, the physical world does not provide us
the ability for that much precise control. But the design of temperaments
is a mathematical thing before it is a practical activity, and while it
remains in the realm of math, the additional precision helps make things
"work out" theoretically. I doubt anyone who designs temperaments has the
conviction that the degree of precision actually makes it into the
instrument for more than perhaps five seconds per interval, if that.

That said, the math itself can be really beautiful. I have been working on
finding temperamental relationships that provide a high degree of "beat
synchrony" -- that is, for example, when you play a major triad, the inner
thirds (major third and minor third) beat in time with each other, either
1:1 or 2:1 or 3:2, creating a very pleasing tremolo-like pulsing sound. I'm
sure you all have experienced this by happenstance with some chords, and it
is in fact possible to design a temperament in which this phenomenon
happens a lot.  But the math goes to two decimal points (at least) to find
this exactitude, and I don't dream that the phenomenon will remain for long
or even be noticeable much. Still, the intellectual beauty is worth
pondering. And in my experience, a sensitive artist can be very deeply
moved by the quality of the tuning, hearing musical depths that he or she
never before experienced.

I might say that Robert Wendell has designed a few temperaments that are
masterpieces from this point of view.  I'll post more about this at another
time.

--
jason's cell 425 830 1561