[pianotech] plate stress, finite

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 11:07:52 MDT 2012

Mr. Spreeman said:
"Wayne Stuart thought the weight of his iron frame was excessive. To quote:
"The detailed finite element model of the existing Stuart and Sons piano
frame was built and solved using Strand7. The complex geometry of the
piano's cast iron frame was modelled using over 5000 "thin shell" plate
elements. The various colours of these elements in the model designate
sections of different thickness." Here's the link which also has the color
coded image: www.strand7.com/html/pianopaper.htm
The new and improved "Stuart Lite" ?

Greg, please let me know if you receive this as I was unable to log in to
"my ptg". I thought perhaps I had forgotten my password, but found out I
had not, at least according to the email confirmation . I then tried a few
different avenues to log in to no avail, so I'm giving up in frustration
and posting this here."

Michael Spreeman www.RavenscroftPianos.com

Michael,
Welcome to the real world of the "Other List".<G>
As for this post? It kind of, sort of, ...answers the question of plate
stress,..er ....I think.<G>
Thanks for the interesting post
Regards,
Joe