[pianotech] Customer complaint

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 08:33:47 MDT 2012

 My Dad sold many, many of these in the 70s and we were concerned about the bass angles way back then.
Yamaha P202s have a very steep angle around there respective terminations near the tuning pins. Couple that with the petrified felt hammers and heavy string grooves and its a perfect storm for broken wire.
  The remedy is new quality bass strings and a hammer transplant, and these pianos are quite musical and useable. An institutional work horse.

Dale Erwin... RPT
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397

I’ve seen it on P22s and otherYamaha models, some Kawai. Higher tension scales that are played hard end upwith work hardened strings that loose their elasticity after a few years. Thenthey start breaking. Time to rescale and restring. That’s Dean’sanalysis, FWIW.
 Dean WMay

                   The only Yamahas on whichI've experienced frequent string breakage are the old P202 studio uprights(found mostly in schools), and, of course, those older pianos with heavilygrooved or packed-down hammers that need either filing, softening, or voicing,or all three.

--David Nereson, RPT