[pianotech] QR Codes for marketing

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Apr 28 05:56:01 MDT 2012

Joe, to make use of a QR Code you need a cellphone of the "smartphone"
type that has internet on it. You install an application that is a QR
Code reader, point the phone at the funny square "maze" as if taking a
photo of it, and the cellphone decodes it and takes you to whatever
website it is for.  It's a quick way to direct a customer to your website.

I don't want to go too off-topic, piano-wise, with this QR stuff.  But
since we all need to consider marketing, it's at least tangentially
relevant!  I'm interested to know whether QR Codes are becoming as
widespread in the US as here in the UK.

In the UK, cellphones became very popular very quickly. We as a nation
were "early adopters" of cellphone technology, achieving much higher
market saturation than the US very quickly. This had also been the case
for VHS video machines in the 1980s. For some reason we in the UK liked
video more quickly than was the case in the US.

With the cellphones, the market quickly got saturated, until there was
no-one left without one. What were manufacturers to do? Advertising
quickly skewed (sometimes very subtly and stylishly) away from "get a
cellphone" towards "if you haven't got the LATEST cellphone you're
pathetic".  And of course with devlopments in cellphone technology, came
smartphones with internet access, applications etc. Apple really pushed
all that forward with the iPhone, and all the other makers raced to
overtake.

Anyway, I have noticed over about the past year or so, that QR Codes are
appearing everywhere in the UK. Is it the same in the US? It's a rapidly
developing bit of technology.  Increasingly, I think all cellphones will
be smartphones, and I think QR Codes are likely to grow and to remain a
while.  One problem is that as far as I understand it, there is not one
universal format that works with all smartphone software operating
systems.  But that may change.

So I am wondering now, if it would be worth having smart little labels
printed just with a QR Code, perhaps a nice black on gold, to be
discreetly stuck on the piano, say on the nameboard of an upright.  And
it's frustrating that I recently got a batch of business cards printed,
and turned down the oiption to ahve anything printed on the back!

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk