[pianotech] where is everyone?

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Apr 28 20:20:32 MDT 2012

Well, lets put it this way ......

When I was working at a company, the whole company was on a Mid-Range computer called AS-400.

Management thought that that was too expensive and wanted everything to go to a "client-server" platform.

Despite our (IT department) objections, the decision was made to go ahead and do it.

In the long run it was NOT cheaper - or - even easier.

The software package they "bought" could NOT be adapted to provide reports to the users the way they wanted them.

So the IT staff had to figure out how to regurgitate the reports like the users were use to.

That meant taking the existing reports out of the client-server system, reading them BACK in - line by line - analyzing
each line by pulling out the data they needed, storing it and creating a  NEW report just like the users were use to.
So, obviously, that meant taking extra processing time to get the reports to the users - and - more cost for development
and processing time.

BUT, did they care........NO ! ...... Because they kept saying that "It's the trendy thing to do"

End of story ..... which will probably be the case here !

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years