[pianotech] Blah, Blah, Blah,....Estate Sale

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 13:11:31 MDT 2012

Les Bartlett said:
"A friend sent this to me, wondering if it might be worth buying for her
son.
She is a reverend, and cannot afford to light campfires with $100 bills at
all. I'd appreciate comments on this from people who know about technical
stuff, but who also know if a square in 21st century really might be a
viable instrument to a person who is not going to be a high level performer,
specializing in Period Music. Thanks, "

Les,
This is a whole lot of crapola! There are hundreds, (if not thousands) of
Emerson Square Grands out there, all in various states of disrepair. I have
over 70 square grand owners in my data base. Half, of which, I service on a
somewhat regular basis. Some, I have rebuilt. One, I restored to original
condition. NONE are/will be, ....EVER worth the amount(s) espoused by the
"seller"!! Take that to the bank.
Square grands should NEVER be used as a learning instrument...EVER! The
single repetition action confuses the student and frustrates them.) They
cannot sound like, nor play like a modern piano, in any way, because they
are not designed/built that way.
BTW, Les, can you and will you tune it? I rather doubt it. If so, are you
capable of putting it in good playing condition?<G> Again, I doubt it.
Reason being, it takes a lot of special knowledge/skill to work on these
things. I've spent the last 35+ years trying to re-invent the techniques
and skills. It's doable, but a long road, to be sure.
 Tell your friend NO! Be a friend and stand fast on that advise.
Squre Grands should be, strictly, for adults, who already play reasonably
well. Or, for Dreamers that love the "look" and only want it for a Family
Picture Stand.<G> They are a unique sound and look. I happen to like them.
They're just not a serious consideration as a playable piano.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police