[pianotech] A new use for piano benches

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Fri Apr 20 17:51:53 MDT 2012

Douglas,

Normally good advice, but in this instance, if I hadn't put up a shield I would have had a bite taken out of me somewhere. He was NOT coming to sniff me, he was coming for blood.  I could see it in his eyes, his posture, his snarling teeth, the hostile growl, and the way he was sprinting at me to jump me.

If I'm walking in the door and the owner is there with the dog it might be a different story. But I was on my back, on the floor alone.  Just me and the dog... The dog kept trying to get around the "shield" to bite me, but I'm pretty quick when my adrenaline is pumping. I kept him at bay until the owners arrived in the room.  I've had lots of dogs over the years.  I can tell a barking dog who's just letting me know I'm in his territory, or one who's excited to see me, etc. I feel I'm pretty good at judging a dogs demeanor. THIS dog had nothing but violence on his mind. At that point, I throw out all the good theories and best practices that are taught and I protect myself.

Or maybe he just smelled the wolf that had been rubbing up against me the day before... :-) He's 88% wolf, 12% malamute.

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com