[pianotech] A new use for piano benches

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Fri Apr 20 08:26:13 MDT 2012

I see Stillwater actually got some snow this year.  Great shot of the PW.

Yeah, dogs.  Each leg of the grand has a story to tell through an odiferous medium.  Yep, white carpet, immaculately clean, take your shoes off as you enter, everything in it’s place, caster cups and the surrounding carpet stained with canine history.

I had a call where the dog was quite protective.  No particular breed but really protective of the kids.  My first visit she was “a close member of the household” and would have nothing to do with my tender and gentle advances.  My second visit she was caged up outside.  My third visit they had to put her down because it bit someone.

Another call, I’ve been tuning for years, she’s on her second piano, a powder blue Samick legless wonder.  She stood me up on the first appointment, and couldn’t remember making the make up appointment so it was a good thing I called prior to the call as she made yet another appointment with me.  Ok so I make it in the door, dog at my heals yipping and yapping away.  She didn’t have a very good command of it.  I’m finished with the call, paid and we visit.  She hands me a treat to hand to her dog in an effort to soften things between the dog and I.  I could tell this wasn’t going to be good, the dog just simply had other plans.  The hand off went without issue and the dog consumed the treat, licking up the resulting crumbs on the floor as the piano owner and I visited some more.  I reminded her of the expense these days with the cost of fuel being what it is and she insisted that I never made one of the missed appointments.  As I turned and headed for the door, the dog nailed my pants leg a few times with his tiny little teeth.  He had that one timed quite well.  By the time I hear from her again, the dog will have passed.

I drove quite a ways to look at a piano and assess repairs and “piano worthyness”.  A large German Sheppard greeted me with a job to do.  We acknowledged each other and the homeowner’s kid called the dog away.  As I started to look over the piano in the garage, the dog let me know who was the boss around there by nipping my arm.  I stopped my process and announced that I don’t really have to make a living under these circumstances.  The kid said, “He’s getting old”and put the dog up in the kennel.  I submitted my findings on the piano, collected my check, and I never heard from them again.

I have owned dogs in a previous life, and enjoyed all three Norwegian Elkhounds  .........  puppies until they’re at least 5 years old.  I don’t own them now because they are a pinch on my lifestyle.  Most dogs can tell I’m no threat and I’ve had owners tell me, “That’s the first time my dog hasn’t barked at someone.”.  I have learned to check the floor carefully before I get my face down there.

Lar