[pianotech] A new use for piano benches

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 06:48:35 MDT 2012

Dogs & cats can be a pain in the rear, when one is trying to tune... and one never knows what the little (or big) squirt will do.  Same w/ little kids.  I love kids & dogs, but not while I'm focused on tuning.

So when I come to a house, I'll pet the dog for a bit if it seems friendly...  "I came here to pet you, not tune any piano!"

And then I tell the customer a story:

"We carry sharp tools & nasty chemicals to keep pianos working their best.  I keep my chemicals capped & sealed when not in use, and tools generally in the case.  But a Tuner I know was in the middle of a job and didn't see the curious cat come over and start licking some nasty stuff.  The cat got real sick and had to go to the vet for moderate level care.  I just want you to know about this, so we can protect them (incl kids)."

At that point 99% of the owners move their pet (or kid) into another room w/ a gate, and I can peacefully & efficiently work on their piano.  They sometimes thank me for my cautiousness.

Bill Fritz, St Louis