[pianotech] Kawai Pedal Lock Nuts

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Apr 17 11:19:17 MDT 2012

"Nonsense. It doesn't matter a whit how perfectly mated the nuts are or
not. If they are tightened together, they will grip the threaded shaft
without turning."  -Ron N

Ron,

Empirically, I can't help but believe this simply isn't' true.  In my
experience, Joe's comment about the threads of the two nuts sometimes
ending up perfectly aligned after tightening does happen, and the result
is that the two nuts turn as one on the shaft just as easily as one, no
matter how tight.  Have seen this on a couple occasions, and no amount of
tightening will change that reality, once they are as tight as they can be.

Interesting that I inquired about this back on 1/21/12, and received a few
answers.  The one from Paul Bruesch was the one I trusted the most at that
time.  I think Joe's got it right now.

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC
(202) 246-3136 Cell/Text