[pianotech] Seminar with David Andersen May 19 in ABQ

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Mon Apr 16 13:44:08 MDT 2012

The Soul of the Craft: Inside the Intentional Technician
Albuquerque, NM	 Saturday, May 19, 2012	  9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Please take advantage of this hands-on all-day seminar with renowned technician David Andersen. He is truly an inspiring teacher. For more information, contact Cy Shuster, RPT at 505-265-4234 or cy at shusterpiano.com.

Here's David's class description:

"For me, all the fun and the deep rewards in this craft start when I approach the work with curiosity and full attention. We'll explore practical ways to stay excited and focused in our work; everything I've learned from my mentors I've customized for my own life and talents, and I want to encourage and inspire technicians to do the same thing---trust your body, your ears, your own way of learning things.
I'm going to share the best I've learned in 35 years about how to make a piano sing...and how to allow pianists to be happy and grateful. We'll get into the heart of diagnostics, regulation, tuning, and voicing---how to look for and find the "sweet spots" in every piano, and how to use simple techniques to have a lot more fun while you work while steeply raising your skill level and your financial health.  We'll be listening and doing; my classes are quite interactive. Nobody has ever fallen asleep...
I've had the honor of teaching this class in Chicago, New York City, Boston, Phoenix, Calgary and Baltimore and now I'm excited to see you all in Albuquerque. We'll have a great time and learn a bunch of stuff..."

DAVID ANDERSEN has been a professional musician, recording artist, and piano technician/consultant for  nearly four decades.  He has been involved in the restoration and maintenance of hundreds of Steinway and Mason & Hamlin pianos during that time.   Beginning in 1975 he apprenticed for two and a half years under Jack Cofer in Atlanta, Georgia; during the 1980s he studied at Steinway facilities both in New York and London.

After moving to Southern California in 1981, David worked extensively with Sherman Clay, the Steinway dealer in most of California at that time, both as a concert/new piano preparation technician and as a quality control consultant/piano prep manager for Asian piano companies affiliated with Sherman Clay.

He took on Steve Bellieu as an apprentice in 1991, and the rebuilding/restorative part of the business soon accelerated and expanded.  In the '90's, David began tuning for film composers and selected performance venues and recording studios, still his pleasure and specialty.  In late 1999 he began a 6-year association with David Abell Fine Pianos, the landmark Southern California piano store, preparing & maintaining new Fazioli, Bosendorfer, Yamaha, and Schimmel grand pianos.

He opened his own boutique piano sales showroom, the Atelier, in late 2005. He sells quality instruments at all price ranges, rents pianos for performances and recording, and presents an intimate outdoor concert series with some of the world's finest pianists from late April through early November. Andersen continues to teach various aspects of his craft at Piano Technician's Guild conferences on the local, regional and national level.  He has held one-day seminars in New York City, Boston, Phoenix, Chicago and Calgary, teaching the finer, more subtle aspects of tuning, voicing, regulation, artisanal rebuilding, and diagnostics. His classes always examine how a technician is being as well as what he/she is doing.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM

www.shusterpiano.com