[pianotech] transferring clients

Ed Carwithen edwcarw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 15:13:40 MDT 2012

I live in a very rural area and travel a lot to take care of my clients; often 120 miles one way.  As I am now 74 years old I plan on cutting back significantly on the travel and tuning.  There are a couple of tuners in this area, but not much in the way of technicians.  There is one man working on his training and plans to take the RPT exam as soon as he is ready.  He is already tuning and seems to be getting along well.  I have been trying to help him as much as I can.  He has taken Randy's course, and went to the recent convention in Utah.  In any case I need to transfer a number of clients to someone else.  I tried to do this once before for clients in a town that was really out of the way for me.  I sent a letter to the clients involved, and told the new person to contact them directly.  Not one client transferred to the new tuner (an RPT yet).  A couple responded that they felt "abandoned."

I want my clients served well as I have formed pretty good relationships with most of them.  How do I make them comfortable with a new technician?   How do I make the transition better?

Ed Carwithen
Eastern Oregon