[pianotech] Hammer stapling

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Apr 12 07:00:42 MDT 2012

Eric Schandall from Steinway explained in a voicing class to the Boston
chapter that the intent of wire-staple component of the Steinway hammer is
there to support the shoulder . It's a tone thing more than a mechanical aid
to hold things together.
Not to discount the  benefit of the wired hammers as we see the detatched
felt on some verticals with the staple pulled out of the moulding. The true
wired hammers  will stay together no matter what the glue does .Years ago
one of tech reps from a now long gone company  (started with a W) told us
the staple was there because we expected it to be there and it served no
purpose other than perceived P.R.
 Tom D.