[pianotech] Customer complaint

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 12:29:09 MDT 2012

Hello

     Yes, this case did make me scratch my head.

      I have a hypothesis that we become accustomed to what we are exposed to. It is
Sneaky. Yes, any big jump to a lower standard leaps out to us, but if left exposed to
Gradually deteriorating Pitch and tone, not listening to other players, instruments, recordings,
And points of reference. If our only point of reference is what we are exposed to, standards
Slowly drop, and expectations devolve.
      Teaching wind instruments, it is amazing how many high school clarinet and saxophone
Students don't listen to professional players of their own instrument, and how many have never
Been to a live concert featuring their own instrument.  One of the most important things to do
As a wind teacher is to get them listening to professionals of their instrument, so their
Point of reference is not high school amateur players around them. Whatever our concept in our brain, we will find a way to sound like that. Amazing how clarinet and sax student
Suddenly can change their sound when they start listening, (and have a few techniques to work with) the techniques with listening and points of reference don't do much)

      I think here we had a case of isolation, and gradual deterioration over time, over years.

      Still, yes I hear you.
      This was a good one for the book; classic.

                                          Cheers
                                           Dave Renaud.