[pianotech] Customer complaint

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 8 11:07:57 MDT 2012

Here! Here!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
Rbushey at RichardsPianoService.com
573-765-9903

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Renaud" <drjazzca at gmail.com>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Customer complaint

Hello

      Occasionally, a complaint becomes an opportunity, for it is not what
it seems.

Sometimes people begin paying attention and Looking for problems,  noticing
things that were there before but they never noticed.

Perhaps some notes are actually not working well, nothing to do with tuning.
It needs regulation.
She is evaluating the piano, it's condition, it's long term service, it's
long term prognosis. After all
Her nice piano is getting older, strings are starting to break, she's paying
attention, checking
touch of the notes, wondering about "extended service". noticing, perhaps
For the first time, the repetition is not what is use to be,  it is "getting
older", suddenly searching out its condition; evaluating, and noticing.

You could get a regulation job out of it,  win over a ton of goodwill.

 Two related stories:

  An old Steinway grand desperately in need of rebuild has screaming pedal
syndrome.
I return to tighten, lubricate, and change material silencing the pedals.
A phone call the next day telling me Ive done something terrible. There is
no sound in
The top octave. I could rant that he is wasting my time, looking for
problems that were
Already there, or I could take the time to show him how his hammers are worn
literally down
To the wood, and split at the top. They are actually striking the wrong side
of
The pressure bar. The action can not be adjusted further back into the
cavity. It was that way
And the pedals have nothing to do with it.
     He was search for problems, as he emotionally negotiated coming to
terms with the fact
His piano is getting older and coming apart, and was searching out its
condition, noticing stuff
For the first time. It was an opportunity to do a real estimate and what it
really needs.

     My favorite story.
     A music teaching in a small town purchases a brand new Wurlitzer baby
grand. Being far;
The dealer pre tunes it in the store, delivers it, and it is not touched
once for almost 5 years.
My first appointment was special. 100 cents flat. Tricords that were
harmonically wild things.
Most wicked sounding unplayable piano you can imagine. I had pity on the
students more then her, and spent over 2 hours at it.  I pitch raised it
twice, tuned it, checked unisons ,  raised a sagging hammer line.
     I return home to a message from the lady. "you have to come back,
something is wrong, it sounds worse then it did before". Shoul I tell her
the way things are on the phone?
, I had to see this for myself, drove back, entered with a smile, sat down
and started playing a dolce folk melody in minor,  gentle arpeggios for
support, Pianissimo, listening for
Focus, clarity, unisons. WhatI heard was beautiful and focused.
No, no, no, she exclaimed, those intervals are fine, THIS CAN NOT BE RIGHT;
she barked
As she  crashed out a minor 9th, C Natural and C# an octave above. "that can
not be correct"
I did not laugh. I sat silent for a moment, tempted to laugh, but
considering how to respond.
I realized that the tricords were so out of focus before, two focused
dissonant points set against each other sounded wrong. Everything was Of a
similar quality of cluttered harmonic fuzziness before, now the minor 9th
had "bite" that was Brand new to her. She had a Beethoven piece with a Minor
9th she had never truely heard before.
    I took the time to explain "perfect" intervals, and dissonant intervals.
I took the time to
De tune a couple unisons and retune them, showing the effect on an intervals
clarity.
I have tuned for her faithfully for 15 years now. I say it needs regulation,
no questions asked.
She trusts me implicitly to tell the truth and be honest both with her, and
with her students.
I think that is a direct result of how I handled that days stress. Putting
myself aside for an hour
or two that one day resulted in 20 more tunings directly, a few dozen
indirectly, and a few hundred dollars of additional service over the years.
     Should I have complained more that infamous appointment, perhaps. I had
every right to. This has nothing to do with rights, but service. We are
sometimes evaluated to what measure we can be trusted by how we handled a
stressful problem.
     I have witnessed people spend a fortune of time and money on
promotional advertisement.
I could feel angry at a client that wastes 2 hours of my precious time.
I prefer to look less at the $120 lost time, and more at the $3000 of work
that came over the
Following two decades. One of the better financial investment I have made.

      Remember, the piano players don't understand the piano mechanics.

      Remember, pianists often become emotional attached to their
instruments.

       Remember, when something goes wrong, in the process of digesting the
fact that
Their precious instrument is aging, they are tempted to evaluate and "test"
the instrument, and often Find little things they use to ignore, and never
noticed before.

       Sometimes this is a sign they are ready to listen and learn.
        It is often an opportunity.

        And yes, I have not always kept my cool when faced with a few such
challenges.
I have occasionally regretted the result of exercising my rights. I have
never regretted
Keeping a lid on it and being gracious.

         One more thing.
          Speaking the "truth" about neglect and ignorance requires great
care. The truth is
A two edge sword, and cuts both ways, for good and bad. One can crush
another human
 with the truth. It's all about the way it's done. Sometimes it is worth
investing in someone by
Putting our rights aside, and taking the time to help.

          "  It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."
             "It ain't whatcha do, it's the way that ya do it"

        That's my opinion.
        Now to practice what I preach....
        .......there is the challenge.......sometimes it works.
        Back to the trenches.
        Fireproof vest on.

                                  Cheers
                                   Dave Renaud