[pianotech] Scrapers - Black stuff on music desks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 17:26:39 MDT 2012

Al,
It's called a Hand.<G>
Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft
To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 4/6/2012 11:16:28 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Scrapers - Black stuff on music desks

Joe, I like that idea. What kind of holder do you use? Photo if you have it.

Al -
High Point, NC

On Apr 6, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

Ron N. said: "Absolutely, on the (or a) scraper. Everyone who thinks they
have a piano
shop is mistaken if they don't own, and know how to sharpen and use a
good scraper. Properly done, you can peel transparent curls from wood
like a plane, only smaller. A first rate, much misused and maligned tool."

Ron,
I would agree. Also, unbeknownst to most there are several sizes available.
I like the1" one. However, there is an even better tool of the same
ilk....it is called a scraper also. I make them out of Power Hack Saw
blades. They are quickly sharpened on the grinder. I like chunks about 6"
long, so you get several from one hacksaw blade. The blades are about 1/16"
thick and are easily broken into the 6" lengths by putting in a vise and
giving a yank!<G> I have several that I got when I was in the Navy in the
late 50's. They are Air Tempered and work very well at stripping the
varnish off of soundboards, etc. Also, work well at scraping the guck off
of music desks. BTW, it is best to "rough up" the painted surface before
PVC-E gluing the Leather/Escane to the music desk. (just a tip<G>)
That's my take on it.<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I