[pianotech] Scrapers - Black stuff on music desks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 09:50:37 MDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 10:25 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron N. said: "Absolutely, on the (or a) scraper. Everyone who thinks they
> have a piano
> shop is mistaken if they don't own, and know how to sharpen and use a
> good scraper. Properly done, you can peel transparent curls from wood
> like a plane, only smaller. A first rate, much misused and maligned tool."
>
> Ron,
> I would agree. Also, unbeknownst to most there are several sizes available.
> I like the1" one.

I have a couple of 1" single edge Red Devils that I've relied on for
many years. I find the handle fit's me better than anything else I've
used. The steel could be better, but it's generally sharpenable enough
that I haven't gotten around to the carburizing/hardening experiment
yet. Might be time to try one.

>BTW, it is best to "rough up" the painted surface before
> PVC-E gluing the Leather/Escane to the music desk. (just a tip<G>)

BTW, it's still Ecsaine, not Escane. It's an old trick, dog, you can do
it. <G>
Ron N