[pianotech] tracking

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Apr 6 09:45:09 MDT 2012

good point.

I deal with a  fair amount of lead with Steinway rail repairs and
rebuilding. To my thinking A HEPA vac is a necessity, for the reason
Jurgen states. Non- HEPA vacuums can be dangerous, since they just blow
dust around the room, kick up the dust. A non-HEPA vac actively
redistributes lead all over you and the shop.

A certified vac can be had for under $400
http://compare.ebay.com/like/230612463464?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
<http://compare.ebay.com/like/230612463464?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar>
, and they work well.  The HEPA filter addons to shop vacs are not
reliable, as shop vacs are made to much different standards than the
HEPA vacs are.

As well, I would use the gloves as mentioned, and certainly a HEPA
mask.  I use a postivie ventilation HEPA mask because I have a beard.
Those paper dust masks are completely useless.

Damp wiping is an effective technique, but that can be ineffective if
the wipes are not properly used and then discarded very often.

Also get a baseline lead count if your doing this work often, so you can
see if you are successfully avoiding the lead or not...lead is great
stuff, but...well, you know.

I would particularly pay attention to the precautions if you do this
work inside  your house, as many techs do, as you are quite certainly
contaminating the residence, kids and pets.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com