[pianotech] Brass Flange (??)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 09:34:06 MDT 2012

Lim asked: "My 1st encounter with the brass flange on a SnS '40' upright.
Its a little
sluggish on the last 2 octaves. Questions:
1. What would be the normal number of swings for these kind of flanges?
2. Are repinning steps the same for wooden flanges?"
Thanks!
Lim,
Technically that is a Brass flange. However, it is called a Billings
Flange. The process for repinning is basically the same, but you need to
hold the Billings Flange with a pair of Vise Grips to give it a "Swing
Test". My preverence would be in the range of 3-6 swings. Use the Don
Mannino Bushing  Reamers/Burnishers and make the job a whole lot easier and
exact. When the Billings Flange is installed the flange screw causes the
Billings Flange to "clamp" tightly on the center pin. It's designed that
way, so that inserting the center pin is easier, when it's in it's
"relaxed" position. I hope that is clear.<G>
That's my take on that.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.