[pianotech] 1st time -SnS brass flange

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 09:00:42 MDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 8:57 AM, lim hock seng wrote:
> Hi,
> My 1st encounter with the brass flange on a SnS '40' upright. Its a
> little sluggish on the last 2 octaves. Questions:
> 1. What would be the normal number of swings for these kind of flanges?
> 2. Are repinning steps the same for wooden flanges?
> Thanks!
> Lim

Flanges have nothing to do with swings, bushings do, and the bushings
are nothing special.

These are Billings flanges, yet another ill conceived aberration in an
industry that seems to collect them. Lacking the resilience of wood,
they hold the pin by a clamping action as the screw presses the front
and back together. Repinning requires prying the fold open slightly to
release the pin, which also risks breaking the flange at the fold. I
don't know that anyone even still sells Billings flanges anymore, do
they? Last I saw was from APSCO, I think, and they were so very poorly
made as to be unusable.

Ron N