[pianotech] Square Grand terminology

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Wed Apr 4 19:34:29 MDT 2012

Miller square piano.

Client loves her piano and is trying to get a fix on the date.  She has
done some sleuthing and thinks she's got the serial # as #1904.  I think
that's a date rather than a serial#.

She found some period catalogs of what she thinks this piano model is,
which show its manufacture might be around 1868-72.  The catalog which
has case drawings and ornamentation which look pretty much like what she
has. However the catalog also describes all the models as having
"agraffes", either treble or whole scale.

There are no "agraffes" in the modern sense of the word at the front
terminations on her piano, rather they are pin type terminations similar
to what you see on any upright bass.

So the question:  Did "agraffe" in squares refer to the same item we
refer to as agraffes in modern pianos.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio