[pianotech] Key lead fix?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Apr 4 17:55:33 MDT 2012

A 1913 Bluthner grand I tune every so often has the swollen key lead
problem that has been discussed here previously.  In the past I have
manged to file the odd sticking note on the spot. Today, quite a few
notes were sticking and I showed the problem to the owner.  It was
agreed that I should take the action away to file all the key leads and
apply some lacquer or varnish to give a seal of sorts.

Unfortunately I have found that the problem is severe, and the swollen
leads have caused at least half a dozen keys to split quite badly.  I
have had to punch out the swollen oxidised leads in order to glue and
clamp the keys back together again.

Really a comprehensive keyboard overhall is needed, as the backtouch
felts and centre rail washers are quite motheaten, and probably all key
leads should be removed and replaced.

I do not know if the owner will be willing or able to go to that
expense, and in the meantime the piano is needed for guests who will be
visiting soon.

What do you suggest I do with the keys I've removed the leads from, in
terms of an interim "quick fix" to get the piano back together and
working : 1) put the glued keys back with no leads, or 2) fill the holes
with something else, like wood repair putty or Plastic Padding's metal
repair stuff?

Obtaining and fitting new leads is the bigger solution for the future,
but what to do meantime?

Suggestions welcome!

Best regards,

David.