[pianotech] Chicago Radio Ads

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 14:26:48 MDT 2011

David, see the >> comments below.
Respectfully...   Bill Fritz, Associate, St Louis

From:
David Porritt <dmporritt at gmail.com>

To:
pianotech at ptg.org

Re: [pianotech] Chicago Radio Ads

Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:44:03 -0500

There are no other professions exactly like ours and no credential exactly like the RPT credential.

>> Actually, Professional Engineer (PE) credentials are VERY similar to "ours", and (as probably intended by the PTG) strive to give the public some expectations of a minimum tested standard... except of course, the PE’s are required to retest every 2-4 years or show proof of a minimum set of continuing education courses during each period. So I guess you're right, it's not exactly like ours. RPT's only pass a test once, never have to demonstrate anything at any time later...

The qualifications, the advantages etc. have not changed in the PTG for a long time. This “it’s unfair” thing is not new. Either pass the tests or don’t. Your choice.

>> According to the Tuning Exam Source Book, the latest Tuning Exams (for example) were significantly changed in 1980 by the Board, and over the years have, in fact, become stricter & more exact. 1980 is a long time ago, but there are still many full-time tuners who took the Craftsman test years before that, and those at age 60 probably aren’t giving up their tuning for retirement any time soon.

The RPTs I know don’t think they’re better than others, they’ve just demonstrated a certain level of competence that other’s haven’t. The associate may indeed have that competence, they just haven’t shown it. That’s all!