[pianotech] Chicago Radio Ads

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 22:15:55 MDT 2011

Bruce and the members of both the North Shore and Chicago Chapters.

I did some radio advertising on the classical radio station in St. Louis when I was there. What I learned was that radio advertising is effective only if the same ad runs over and over.  A slight variation is good, but too many different formats is ineffective. Advertising people have told me that someone has to hear an ad 7 times before they will remember it. When they hear an ad once, they won't remember it. But if it's repeated over and over it will be remembered more easily. Every time you change the ad in any way, it will be like starting over again.

The other problem is coverage. Even if the radio station says it has a listening audience of 5%, (which is huge), that means at some time during the day, 5% of the population listens to that radio station. However, the actual amount of time that that 5% listens to the radio is only 30 - 60 minutes in a day. So on any given day, the chances of someone listening to your ad is about .05%. That is why repetition is key to a successful radio ad campaign.

Good luck. Let us know the results after Christmas

Wim