[pianotech] WNG plate bolt installation

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sat Oct 29 11:42:22 MDT 2011

Hi David:

I played with your suggestions this morning where I drill the bottom hole
first and chase it with the ½” drill bit.  There is little enough difference
between the 13/32” hole and the ½” drill that it follows the hole readily
and self centers.  Plus, the there is little enough difference between the
diameter of the ½” shank on the perimeter bolt and the inside diameter of
the ½” hole that it makes sure that the bolt is centered.

I did it a little different with my samples (outside piano):

1.       Center punch hole through plate

2.      Drill ¼” deep hole with 7/8” Forstner bit using 90 degree guide

3.      Center 13/32” forstner bit in dimple left by other bit and drill a
shallow hole to serve as a well centered guide

4.      Center  13/32” aircraft drill (12” long) in the hole to drill to
full 4 1/8” depth, using 90 degree guide

5.      Chase that hole with a ½” aircraft drill (12” long) to a depth of 1
½”, using 90 degree guide

I did several samples this way, and everything ended up well centered and
the bolt at 90 degrees.  I really appreciate your input, and it will make
this work better for me.

Will