[pianotech] new/old list...

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Oct 27 08:15:51 MDT 2011

Ron,
You make a number of good, if discrete points, each of which is
deserving of greater consideration, however, the thread, thus far,
has, for the most part, become sidetracked. The one I'd like to
follow up on is the change in the nature of the list(s) and its
impact.  It's poignant, in a way, that the perennial struggle to
define the organization, it's objectives, and the relationship
between the (basically) two types of membership - RPT's and
Associates (and everyone else out there)  has now emerged as a
question of how we are to interact with one another, as defined by
the list protocols.  Would it be seriously proposed that such a
discussion would be most appropriately venued (original
verbification) at PTG-L,  where many of those affected are either
unable to participate (non-members) or don't know that they can, or
how (members)? Would this be deemed inappropriate discussion here
(pianotech at ptg.org) because it's not 'about' pianos?  Would a similar
such discussion be even more censured  on the PTG Pianotech
list?   Is there something fundamentally different about this list,
either in content or community, that is not replicated in the other
forum, for all it's positive aspects and, depending upon one's point
of view, for better or worse?

In the time perhaps remaining, while this list still exists, where,
and how can this issue receive a thorough, fair, less inflammatory
hearing?  I don't have  the time right now, but the stats on number
of contributors (vs. subscribers), ranges of frequency of posts from
individual contributors, overlap of subscribers / contributors to old
and new lists...are easily derived for both lists.

The final irony (for the moment) is that, for all the investment of
energy in updating our communication technology, we seem to be having
a harder time of it than ever.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY