[pianotech] New List

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Tue Oct 25 15:20:35 MDT 2011

Alan,

I don't know who you're referring to that we've lost, but as I've been
saying in several posts since the one below that you're replying to, my
hope is to maintain the availability of the lists to everyone regardless
of membership status. All I want is to know that there is a mechanism to
dispatch list members who persist in throwing rocks, not roses. I don't
say how to make that judgement, nor do I say who should make it. That's
probably the rub. Still, are we stuck with whoever wants to sign up, no
matter how obnoxious their behavior?

I would hope that non-member guests would be encouraged eventually to
join. But what becomes of that initiative if some disgruntled ex-member
persists in bad-mouthing the entire organization and its membership
structure, over a period of years? How many potential members are turned
off and decide to go it alone? Do we have a tool to limit that kind of
damage? If we do, then we can talk about how and when to use it. If we
don't, we need it.

If someone wants to offer constructive criticism, great, apparently we
need ideas. But does that extend to having no choice as to when to cut
somebody off? I hope not.

Wanting only the best for PTG,
-Mark Schecter