[pianotech] Universal String

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 13:03:30 MDT 2011

Matthew,
 Once again I will quote the great Yogi Berra. " You can observe a lot by looking. "
 It's typical for the coil on the replacement string to be somewhat different than the original. Also the replacement string will typically just look different. Either more shiny, or have a different style ending of the wrap , or the length of the wrap will be out of line with the others or indeed the core will deviate or the tuning pin will be at a different height or the loop at the hitch will be different. You have  40 or so other strings and several criterion  for comparision. I'll bet with your keen observational powers you will detect the string to replace from across the room .Boldly go forth young man .  I hope that this post hasn't been upsetting and you are welcome in advance.
 Your brother in our trade,
 Tom Driscoll