[pianotech] Help with a Young Chang plate

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 23 19:01:28 MDT 2011

            Del, thanks so much for the advice.  I don't have pictures but the crack is from an agraffe to the tuning pin field, sending tuning awry, of course.  I've passed along advice from the List and they are currently looking for a replacement piano...probably the best bet.  In fact, I had bad information about the age of the piano...it is from 1994, so warranty help is most unlikely.

Thanks to all...this List is a tremendous resource.  Still.  No matter what PTG says.

From:
            "Delwin D Fandrich" <del at fandrichpiano.com>

        	To:
        	pianotech at ptg.orgStan,  Even
 though these frames were vacuum-cast there will be enough differences
between individual plates to preclude economically replacing the
casting.  This does, however, sound very much like a repair that could be accomplished by the Lock-N-Stitch method. See http://www.locknstitch.com/  From
 your description of the crack—a picture would be worth quite a few
words—it should be able to make this repair without removing the frame
from the piano. If this cannot be done it is probably not economically
feasible to repair the piano.   Before doing anything else the owner should take a look at his/her warrantee.  ddf  Delwin D FandrichPiano Design & Fabrication6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USAPhone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net