[pianotech] GH-1 String breakage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 17:37:48 MDT 2011

Joe (one of the other ones<G>) asked: "Strings are breaking everywhere with
the exception of then tenor.
Client is reluctant to pay for anything but essential work, so I have
not shaped hammers nor regulated the action."

Joe,
As was just stated, we educate the client and then we act. In this case,
the GH-1 is a medium high tension scale, that, as far as I know, is not
prone to string breakage. It's been my experience that  proper surfacing of
the hammers and regulation can eliviate string breakage in some of that
ilk. (P 22's is my prime example.) However, there are "players" that break
strings no matter what they are playing. Since the GH-1 is the smallest of
the lot, it's possible that the "player" is trying to make the sound as big
as a 9 footer! (yeah, right!....sigh!)<G>
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police