[pianotech] From soft to loud

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Oct 20 13:12:03 MDT 2011

"Hit it harder."  That's good.

How?  You educate your client.  You explain to them the process of getting
the piano performing properly first - because it's currently not.  Rich or
poor, BOU or Yamaha CFX, it doesn't matter.  You tell them that to achieve a
result that is in any way uniform and non-circumventive, the proper
procedure is thus and such and will cost about $xxxx.xx.  It can be made
louder by just drizzling acetone/keytop across the whole mess without even
removing the action, for no charge.  But would you stand by that work?  My
approach is to always talk through all kinds of options, being very careful
to educate as to the effectiveness, properness, longevity, pro's and con's
of any approach.  Then the customer decides.  It's not really that hard.

They either recognize the inherent drawbacks of the cheap way out and choose
to do it "right" or not.  If they know the results are going to be
substandard with a quick fix, it usually speaks to folks.  Education of our
clients - it's what we do.

William R. Monroe