[pianotech] New List

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Oct 19 21:51:04 MDT 2011

OK. So, first, like, stop trying to provoke
Duaine.  There may have been or yet be times when
such a response seemed / will seem justified, but
as you migrate to the newer list, you'll likely
find less tolerance for the energizing
smack-downs we learned to love and expect when
entering this fading venue.  The extended Code of
Conduct for e-lists seems quite specific about things like that.
Second, he was absolutely correct to be
baffled.  The link that John Parham posted  as:  www.my.ptg.org

actually went here:
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=19&MenuKey=Menu27
as do the search results for ptg.org or
'pianopage'.    From that home page, you have to
click on my.ptg.org, under Quick LInks.

Here is the Log in page where members and non-members can set up accounts:
http://my.ptg.org/login/?ReturnURL=http%3a%2f%2fmy.ptg.org%2fmyprofile%2fprofile%2f

Here are the instructions for nonmembers:

>4. How do I create an account if I'm a nonmember?
>           Follow the directions in the Getting
> Started area on the left side of the main page
> of my.ptg.org. Begin with "set up a new user
> profile” in step #1. This takes you to a page
> on the PTG web site where you can create a
> profile. After you have completed the form, hit
> submit and you will see a welcome page with a
> link that says “Please click here to join the
> PTG community.” Click on that link and it will
> take you back to the my.ptg.org site to
> continue setting up your profile. If you click
> on “Edit Contact Information” next to your
> picture, you can view and/or change your login
> and password information by choosing “Change
> Password” from the dropdown menu at the top of
> the page. Be sure to follow #3 of "Getting
> Started" to set up your "notification
> settings."  You won’t get an email notification
> that there have been new messages until you
> select "Real Time" to get each message as it is
> sent, "Daily Digest" to get one post per day of
> all the discussions, or "PDA" to get a
> text-only message suitable for smart phones.
> Discussions are searchable as is the whole
> <http://my.ptg.org/Home/home/faqhelp_information/../../>my.ptg.org site.

There's a learning curve, and some people are
still unhappy, or at least uneasy with the new
format, but, given the option, or lack thereof,
it's worth getting one's toes in.  The Home
Office has been helpful in answering questions.

Good luck.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY