[pianotech] water-damaged Disklavier

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Mon Oct 17 06:49:46 MDT 2011

Thank you for your message, Rob.  I'm glad it worked out this way.
Ruth

Ruth Phillips
ruth at alliedpiano.com

I talked at length with Yamaha about this piano.  First of all, they can't
get this piano in white anymore, not with the comparable Disklavier.
Secondly, most of the parts for the Disklavier components aren't available
anymore for this one (the control wagon in white with the umbilical cord).
Third, the piano sat in this humidity for approximately 3-4 weeks total
before they moved it out. They questioned the glue joints, the case,
soundboard, pinblock.  The parts that I could replace more easily added up
quite quickly. I stopped counting at $20K for repairs and realized that this
is a total loss.  A comparable DGC1 in black retails at $36,000 but can
obviously be found for less.

I called the loss mitigator and I told them it was totaled.  He agreed, and
wants a letter stating such, and then he said he'd hook me up with the
client so that I could help her find a new piano. He also said that he sees
a lot of pianos in his business so he's going to call me for any of his
future needs.  I'm happy with that, he's happy with that, and if the
insurance pays, the owner should be happy with that.  :-)

Rob McCall