[pianotech] 3 tier gaskets for Simplex valves

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Oct 11 17:57:23 MDT 2011

It occurs to me that this subject could be salvaged to someone's
potential benefit with a bit more information.

To those of you doing player work and need gasket sets, or otherwise
needing to cut multiple copies of some relatively soft substance, you
aren't necessarily at the mercy of some supplier for availability. This
is especially true in one-off situations where you're faced with someone
doing a custom run for you. Many of you out there have the necessary
equipment and skills to make your own dies, so here's another tool in
your arsenal.

Rule die is available as a moderately hard steel blade (Google it) that
comes in yard long sticks. I use 0.030" thick X nominally 1" wide single
bevel die stock. I cut it with a Dremel cutoff wheel, and build the
shape I want in a frame of 1/2" Delignit scrap, bedded in epoxy once I'm
happy with the build. If it's a die I plan on using more in the future,
I'll make an aluminum ejector plate to kick the gasket material out
after punching. Otherwise, I'll fill it with repeated punch strokes into
the gasket material until the die fills up and I can easily pick out the
last one. Repeat as necessary until enough gaskets accumulate. The punch
is mounted on a half ton arbor press for the run.

The die can be bent cold to large radii, or heated for tighter
controlled bends, though you don't want to blast all the carbon out of
it by heating it any hotter than necessary. Round cutters are available
from the same source as the die stock, or you can make your own with
drill rod, drilling out the center and countersinking a bevel on the
inside to make a cutting edge.

You can use the same processes to make custom dies to cut valve leather
discs, felt punchings, with centered hole, to whatever size you require,
or whatever your (our) febrile little minds desire.

I've always enjoyed building tools I otherwise couldn't justify buying,
assuming they were obtainable anywhere at all, and invariably learn
something I find useful in entirely unrelated situations some time
later. I recommend it.

Now, good luck in finding gasket material to your specifications. That's
another problem altogether.

Ron N